Breaking News:

Keep up with So Much Sports on Twitter @SoMuchSports

Henderson comes back to submit Thatch

Benson Henderson

After losing back-to-back fights for the first time in his career, Benson Henderson got a much needed victory, despite going into a fight as an underdog and on short notice against Brandon Thatch.

An injury to Stephen Thompson left Thatch without an opponent to headline a Valentines Day Fight Night but Henderson stepped in on short notice, just 28 gays after fighting Cerrone, and moved up to 170 to do so. But the former lightweight champion was able to withstand a very aggressive opponent and pulled off the submission victory in the fourth round of their main event.

“Sometimes you gotta go out there, you’ve got to give your all and you’ve got to test yourself,” Henderson said. “I didn’t know I could win this fight. A lot of times you’ve got to do something you don’t know.”

Thatch, who was fighting in his home town of Denver, Colorado and coming off 10-straight victories, showed is highly-aggressive nature early in the match with kicks and uppercuts to the body of Henderson. That forced Henderson to stay on the move and never allowed him to get set to land combinations of his own.

The naturally bigger and stronger Thatch used his strength to throw Henderson down to the mat on a few occasions in the second round.

In the third round, Thatch kept the offense going but Henderson was finally able to get him down and landed a flurry of strikes that left welts under both of his eyes. Henderson was attempting to get an arm bar but Thatch was able to power through it and didn’t allow a full extension.

But in the fourth round, Henderson lived up to his name and got a “Smooth” takedown and while Thatch tried to get out of it, Henderson took his back and sunk in a rear-naked choke that forced Thatch to tap out at 3:58.

“The guy’s got the heart of a champion,” Thatch said. “I think I threw power more than I should have; I should have stuck with speed, but that’s trial and error. I need more experience.”

Holloway out-hustles Cole Miller for unanimous decision victory

In the fight prior to Henderson-Thatch main event, 23-year-old Max Holloway continued his assent in the featherweight division and could be headed for a showdown against Cub Swanson.

Holloway is one of the busiest fighters in the sport, going into his match third all time in highest strike-rate in UFC history, landing 5.86 significant strikes per minute.

In the first round, Miller was able to use his range but as the fight moved on, Holloway stayed busy, landed his kicks and punches and finished with the 30-27, 29-28, 29-28 decision victory.

Magny extends winning-streak to six by submitting Kunimoto

Denver native Neil Magny won five fights in 2014, tied for the most in the UFC, and extended his winning-streak to six-straight after sinking in a rear naked choke on Kiichi Kunimoto.

Magny used his length to keep Kunimoto away in the first round but was also able to use the clinch to wear down his opponent. By the second round, Kunimoto showed his fatigue. The Japanese fighter took Magny down but couldn’t keep him on the mat.

Magny nearly ended the fight at the end of the second round with a series of unanswered strikes but the bell saved Kunimoto. Well, it was more like just prolonging the inevitable. With the decision already guaranteed for Magny, Kunimoto needed to stop the fight but instead, it was Magny who jumped on Kunimoto’s back and forced the submission at 1:22 of the round.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Comments are closed.