Breaking News:

Keep up with So Much Sports on Twitter @SoMuchSports

Dillashaw picks Barao apart in rematch

DillashawThere is no question now. T.J. Dillashaw is undoubtedly better than Renan Barao and the true bantamweight champion.

Despite a victory over a man who was thought to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC after a near 10-year unbeaten streak, there was a belief that Dillashaw just got lucky and caught Barao on a bad night. But he picked him apart in the rematch, earning his second title defense in very impressive fashion.

Dillashaw, who naturally has an orthodox stance, went Southpaw in the fight, making his lead-hand his more powerful right while also taking away Barao’s powerful leg kick. Both men exchanged hard shots in the first round but Dillashaw was able to control his opponent up against the cage for a period of time. After what looked to be a hard combination of punches, Dillashaw shook it off and waved for more.

Dillashaw used his athleticism and quick feet to prevent Barao from landing his strikes. He was jumping around, taking different angles in for various strikes and kept pinning Barao up against the cage, forcing him to use a lot of energy to defend the take down.

When Barao took Dillashaw down in the second, the Champion popped right back up, turned Barao around and again, pinned him up against the cage.

Barao looked winded midway through the second round. Dillashaw continued to move, landed hard shots and tired Barao out even more.

In the third round, Dillashaw dominated an early exchange. He kept landing his shots and Barao was just a moment too late the entire time. And Barao was standing flat-footed. That prevented serious power from Barao. He was throwing lazy kicks and was not getting proper leverage on his take down attempts.

The constant pressure of Dillashaw never let Barao get in a rhythm. Barao was put on the defensive and had to continue to work to prevent knees to the body and a take down.

The champion looked as fresh as he did when he stepped into the octagon after 15 minutes and stuck with his strategy of moving his feet, moving forward and not even a minute into the fourth round he backed Barao up to the cage and landed a barrage of shots to his head. Barao was not out but was helpless and unable to intelligently defend the bevvy of strikes Dillashaw was landing with pin-point accuracy, forcing referee Herb Dean to wave for the end of the fight.

Tate dominates Eye for 4th-straight win

Miesha Tate

Miesha Tate made another claim for a third fight against the undefeated champion Ronda Rousey with a unanimous decision victory over Jessica Eye. Tate took every round to earn the 30-27 decision on all three judges scorecard.

Eye’s counter right was her strength early on. In the first round that counter punch caught Tate while she attempted a kick and turned it into a damaging combination to Tate’s face. About a minute later she rocked Tate with that hard right and landed a few more head shots. Tate was trying to avoid the heavy punching power of Eye by shooting for take downs but Eye stuffed her early attempts.

That was until an overhand right knocked Eye to the ground and allowed Tate to take top position on the mat with 90 seconds left in the first round. Unfortunately for Tate, she was unable to get much going as Eye locked Tate’s right leg between hers. Tate, tough, more than just made up for the early combinations with hard elbows to the side of Eye’s head.

Eye survived the round Tate stung her multiple times with a powerful right in the second round ad sent her to the mat with two and a half to go. On the ground, Eye attempted a no-arm triangle choke but Tate was able to split out and regain top control. Like in the first round, Tate was stuck in the half guard but did it to put herself in position for a one-armed neck crank.

But eye survived again. She refused to let Tate get her left-hand free so she could lean back and put on more pressure until the final few seconds. Tate rolled on her back, got in the guillotine but the bell saved Eye just in time.

Tate was in control of the scorecard heading into the third and stayed on the attack to solidify the victory. She took Eye down again and took her back with two minutes left in the fight. Eye did not let Tate get her hands free and referee Yves Levigne made them stand up, but Tate secured the victory long before that.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Comments are closed.