Breaking News:

Keep up with So Much Sports on Twitter @SoMuchSports

To nobody’s surprise, Cyborg KOs Lansberg

cyborgWas there any real doubt?

Cris Cyborg left Lina Lansberg look like she was bludgeoned with a hammer in their headlining fight at UFC Fight Night in Brasilia, Brazil. Cyborg out-landed Lansberg 100-24 and took her down twice before refereed Mario Yamasaki finally called the fight at the 2:29 mark in the second round.

That’s why Cyborg does. She’s a spectacle now in the UFC. They don’t even sanction her 140-pound division, but they have her headlining cards and beating people up.

Lansberg was a bloodied mess in the first round. Her nose clear clearly Cyborg’s target and obviously broken. Cyborg continued to target her nose in the second round. After not quite being able to end the one-sided fight in the first round after losing her full mount, Cyborg didn’t lost it in the second round and ended the fight. Lansberg was intelligently covering up and defending, but she wasn’t showing any ability to get out of the danger.

There doesn’t seem like there is a person on the roster who can beat Cyborg right now, especially not at 140-pounds. The only hope still is that one of the top bantamweight moves up in weight with Cyborg coming down a bit for a catch-weight fight.

Barao out-classes Nover for decision

Phillipe Nover caught the attention of a lot of people when he made his tremendous showing in The Ultimate Fighter, but his fight against Renan Barao showed he is nowhere near ready to compete against the very best fighters in the UFC yet.

The former Bantamweight Champion Barao lost three of his previous four fights, including two against TJ Dillashaw for the Bantanweight title. After his second loss to Dillashaw, Barao moved up in weight and lost to Jeremy Stephens in his return to featherweight, but handled the rising Nover.

Barao out-landed Nover 64-54 and had all three takedowns in the fight. He took him down twice in the third round on his way to the unanimous decision victory.

‘Big Country’ levels ‘Bigfoot’, unhappy with McCarthy’s late stoppage

Roy ‘Big Country’ Nelson floored Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva with a tremendous counter uppercut. Silva fell to the mat immediately and Nelson knew he was out old, but he had to land a few follow-up punches before the fight was finally called at the 4:20 mark in the second round.

Clearly not happy that it took so long for ‘Big’ John McCarthy to wave off the fight, Nelson kicked him in the rear as he tended to Silva while he was in a daze on the mat. Nelson also gave McCarthy the middle finger.

“I had John in my last fight. We talked about what’s considered damage. He doesn’t know what’s going on in MMA,” Nelson said in the octagon after the fight. “That’s why when I actually, when I knew I hit a home run with ‘Bigfoot.’ I already knew he was out. I could have done that Mark Hunt and walk away and them hopefully he might stop it.

“Bit I stood over him, waited, waited, waited and then I started throwing bombs and he let me throw just clean punches. Bigfoot’s my friend. I know he had a family to go to.”

While Nelson earned another remarkable knockout victory, he may be facing some sort of discipline for striking McCarthy, though it is unclear what kind of punishment he will face, if any. Nelson said the shove with his foot was more him trying to make it clear that Silva was knocked out and he should have called it earlier.

Any discipline partially depends on whether McCarthy files a complaint against Nelson. The last fighter to make contact with a referee was Jason High. He maliciously shoved referee Kevin Mulhall following a loss to Rafael dos Anjos in 2014 and was released from the UFC. That punishing would be rather excessive for what Nelson did.

Nelson said he apologized to McCarthy for his action but he was really upset that he had to keep punching a defenseless fighter for the fight to finally be called way later than it should have been stopped.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Comments are closed.