Breaking News:

Keep up with So Much Sports on Twitter @SoMuchSports

Bisping retains after war with Henderson


When UFC booked the Michael Bisping – Dan Henderson rematch for the middleweight title, it was quite laughable, but it turned out to be an incredible close and entertaining fight. But it was Bisping who got his revenge seven years later after the brutal knockout at UFC 100 with a unanimous decision victory in his first title defense.

And after his loss, Henderson announced his retirement in the octagon, ending his storied career with a 32-15 record.

But while Bisping out-landed Henderson 137-72 and controlled the third and fourth rounds on his way to victory, Henderson actually did far more damage; clear after the fight as Bisping was left a cut up, swollen and bloody mess while getting his hand raised.

Bisping made the same mistake three times in the first and it nearly cost him twice. At the end of the first round, Bisping dropped his left hand while going in to a straight right. Henderson counter with the H-Bomb, floored the champion and unleashed an assault of shots on him. Bisping survived it somehow.

But again in the second round, he dropped his left hand again while going forward with a right punch. Hendo again landed the H-Bomb and appeared to be on his way to getting the shocking knockout victory to finally win a UFC championship. Again, though, Bisping survived.

Outside those barraged, Bisping did control the round, but those were clear statements that swayed some of the judges as they scored it 48-47, 48-47, 49-46.

In the fourth round, Bisping made the mistake again, but at last he realized it right away and backed away as the H-Bomb only glanced off his cheek.

Henderson finished the fifth round with a takedown, but as his activity throughout the entire fight wasn’t enough to win the belt. After the fight Henderson said he wished the judges scored the fight based on how the two fighters looked afterwards, and if that were the case, there is no doubt he would have won. But it’s not and while Henderson called it a career, Bisping retained his title after a war and surpassed George St. Pierre with his 20th UFC victory for the most in promotion history.

Mousasi dominated a fireless Belfort


Nobody should call for a fighter to retire, but at this point, Vitor Belfort should just call it an end. He’s been knocked out in three of his last four fight and hasn’t shown much of a fire in any of them. Against Gegard Mousasi, The Phenom landed only nine strikes in over seven minutes of fight time. The former lightweight champion didn’t seem to be anywhere near the class of Mousasi, who has been the greatest underachiever since joining the UFC.

But while a win over a diminished Belfort should not alone play a huge factor in making Mousasi the title contender that he finally said he wants to strive to be, it was one of his best performances since joining the promotion back in 2013 as part of the Strikeforce acquisition.

Mousasi out-landed Belfort 65-9, including a furious barrage of punches at the bend of the first round. Belfort was somehow able to survive the assault, but Mousasi kept the pressure on in the second round. He dazed Belfort with a head kick that dropped his hands, followed with a combination of punches and then took him down and ended the fight as quickly as he could.

OSP fades, knocked out by Manuwa


More than Jimi Manuwa proving he was among the light heavyweight elite, Ovince Saint Preux showed he was far from that group as he was knocked out by the Poster Boy at in the second round of their UFC 204 meeting.

Manuwa was much more patient with his striking and at the 2:22 mark in the second round knocked OSP out cold with a left hook that sent him back with his legs buckled behind him. That was set up by a left hook to the body that stunned OSP and a right hook that sent him to the mat. OSP quickly got up, but wasn’t fully recovered as Manuwa’s next punch ended the fight.

OSP simply faded in the fight. He out-worked Manuwa on the ground in the first round. OSP spent most of the first round controlling Manuwa’s back, trying to secure double hooks. Manuwa did get in a guillotine attempt late in the round, but it was clearly OSP’s round.

He just couldn’t sustain it and Manuwa forced OSP up against the cage, landed the key combination midway through and earned his first victor in over a year since being knocked out by Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson in the second round at UFC 191 in September 2015.

OSP is not 1-3 in his last four fights with losses every time he has attempted to break into the upper echelon of the division. Clearly, neither guy is too close to that group.

The following two tabs change content below.

Corey Johns

Editor in Chief
You could say Corey was born to become a sports journalist. His father won a national championship coaching college soccer. His mother is a baseball fanatic who hasn't missed seeing an Orioles game since 1983 (literally, sometimes it's annoying). His great uncle was a big-time boxing promoter and his maternal grandfather was once a department head at the Baltimore Sun. Basically, sports and journalism run through his blood. He played just about every little league sports there was when he was a kid and was a multi-sport athlete in high school; even playing in the first-ever high school sanction Rugby game in the country. Eventually he retired from sports as an undefeated Maryland state Rugby champion as a high school senior. Perhaps lack of athletic talent has more to do with the retirement, but he will tell you that it more had to do with a great desire to jump right into media. Upon his graduation from University of Maryland, Baltimore County as a triple communications major, Corey started the So Much Sports network and has continued to grow his websites and continues to work to make them premier sports media outlets.

Comments are closed.